Today’s song of the day is a hit single by Taylor Dayne; “Love Will Lead You Back.” The song got to first place on April 7, 1990, and became Dayne’s most successful song.
- “Love Will Lead You Back” was released on January 20, 1990, after the recording was done at Arista record label the previous year.
- The hit single was part of Taylor Dayne’s second album, Can’t Fight Fate, which was officially released on October 7, 1989.
- The catchy lyrics were written by Diane Warren, who won a Grammy Award, an Emmy award and a Golden Globe Award for songwriter of the year.
- “Love Will Lead You Back” reached the top spot on the US Billboard Hot 100 on April 7, 1990. It maintained this position for 15 consecutive weeks, becoming Taylor’s top-grossing hit single in the United States.
- When Diane wrote the lyrics for “Love Will Lead You Back,“ she had Whitney Huston in mind. However, this arrangement was switched when the CEO of Arista record label Clive Davis suggested Taylor Dayne for the role.
- For the video, director Nigel Dick kept things simple by recording Dayne and her band performing in the studio. The video was first in black and white and then produced in sepia notes.
- Taylor Dayne was born Leslie Wunderman on March 7, 1962, in New York. She began singing professionally in little-known bands, such as Felony and Next, after graduating from high school.
- Dayne partnered with Arthur Baker and Fred Zarr to write “Whatever You Want” for Tina Turner in 1996. She recorded a version of the song and released it in 1998, but it failed to chart.
- In 2016, Taylor Dayne ranked #28 on Billboard’s Most Successful Dance Artist of All Time.
Is never an easy thing
But you never said
That you’d stay forever
So if you must go
Oh, darling I set you free
But I know in time
That we’ll be together
I won’t try
To stop you now from leaving
‘Cause in my heart I know
Love will lead you back
Someday I just know that
Love will lead you back to my arms
Where you belong
I’m sure, sure as stars are shining
One day you will find me again, it won’t be long
One of these days our love will lead you back
One of these nights
Ooh, I’ll hear your voice again
You’re gonna say
Ooh, how much you missed me
You’ll walk out this door
But someday you’ll walk back in
And darling I know, ooh
I know this will be
Sometimes it takes
Sometime you on your own now
To find your way back home