Bobby Darin released the hit single “Splish Splash” in 1958. The song reached No.3 on the U.S. pop singles chart and took second place in the RnB Best Sellers chart. This song was the first major hit for Bobby Darin, and this helped catapult his success in the music world. Darin famously joked in an interview in 1967 that he was so excited about his musical success after “Splish Splash” that his skin condition cleared up!
“Splish Splash” was released in 1958 as a novelty rock song. It was co-written by Bobby Darin and DJ Murray the K and performed by Bobby Darin. Beyond its success as a radio hit, the song has been featured in many films and shows over the decades, including LoverBoy, You’ve Got Mail and Happy Days. The song mentions other characters from popular songs of the time period, with references to “Lollipop,” “Peggy Sue,” and “Miss Molly.”
- The song “Splish Splash” was released by Atco record Label in 1958. Bobby Darin and Murray Kaufman co-wrote the lyrics.
- He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990.
- He was later voted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1999.
- On December 13, 2009, Darin was awarded a posthumous Lifetime Achievement Award.
- During his life, he released 27 studio albums. His last album was released in 1972.
- Darin’s birth name is Walde Robert Cassotto
- Billy Darin died of heart failure after his heart got infected from a dentist appointment. He passed on at the age of 37 in 1973.
Splish splash, I was taking a bath
Long about a Saturday night, yeah
A rub dub, just relaxing in the tub
Thinking everything was alright
Well, I stepped out the tub, put my feet on the floor
I wrapped the towel around me
And I opened the door, and then
A-splish splash, I jumped back in the bath
Well how was I to know there was a party going on
They was a-splishing and a-splashing, reeling with the feeling
Moving and a-grooving, rocking and a-rolling, yeah
Bing-bang, I saw the whole gang
Dancing on my living room rug, yeah
Flip flop, they was doing the bop
All the teens had the dancing bug
There was Lollipop with-a Peggy Sue
Good Golly, Miss Molly was-a even there, too
A-well-a, splish splash, I forgot about the bath
I went and put my dancing shoes on, yeah
I was a rolling and a-strolling, reeling with the feeling
Moving and a-grooving, splishing and a-splashing, yeah
Yes, I was a-splishing and a-splashing
I was a-rolling and a-strolling
Yeah, I was a-moving and a-grooving, whoo
We was a-reeling with the feeling, ha
We was a-rolling and a-strolling, moving with the grooving
Yeah, splishing and a-splashing (One time)
I was a-splishing and a-splashing (Whoo, whee)
I was a-moving and a-grooving
Yeah, I was a-splishing and a-splashing