Released as a single in January 1987, the song “Brass Monkey” is the eleventh track on the album Licensed to Ill, the debut album by Beastie Boys. Fueled by the explosion in music videos and MTV popularity, the Beastie Boys transformed into an eighties icon almost overnight.
Read on for more interesting facts about “Brass Monkey” by Beastie Boys.
- With the original name Young Aborigines, Beastie Boys came from the New York City Punk Rock scene made popular by other “glam bands” of the late seventies. Michael
- “Mike-D” Diamond, Adam “MCA” Yauch and Adam “Ad-Rock” Horovitz formed the Beastie Boys in 1981.
- Beastie Boys used the technique sampling, which would go on to be a staple of rap, hip-hop and disco tech music genres.
- They toured with Madonna in 1985.
- Their debut album Licensed to Ill was released in 1986.
- The song “Brass Monkey” contains samples of “Bring It Here” by Wild Sugar, which prompted a lawsuit and subsequent out-of-court settlement.
- “Brass Monkey” is a companion single to “You’ve Gotta Fight For Your Right To Party.”
- The song is about the alcoholic drink “brass monkey,” a drink of rum, vodka and orange juice made popular by college students.
- Beastie Boys are the most successful rap/hip-hop band of all time selling more than 20 million records in the U.S.
Brass Monkey – that funky Monkey
Brass Monkey junkie
That funky Monkey
Got this dance that’s more than real
Drink Brass Monkey here’s how you feel
Put your left leg down your right leg up
Tilt your head back let’s finish the cup
M.C.A. with the bottle D. rocks the can
Adrock gets nice with Charlie Chan
We’re offered Moet we don’t mind Chivas
Wherever we go with bring the Monkey with us
Adrock drinks three Mike D. is D.
Double R. foots the bill most definitely
I drink Brass Monkey and I rock well
I got a Castle in Brooklyn that’s where I dwell
Cause I drink it anytime and anyplace
When it’s time to get ill I pour it on my face
Monkey tastes Def when you pour it on ice
Come on y’all it’s time to get nice
Coolin’ by the lockers getting kind of funky
Me and the crew we’re drinking Brass Monkey
This girl walked by she gave me the eye
I reached in the locker grabbed the Spanish Fly
I put it with the Monkey mixed it in the cup
Went over to the girl, “Yo baby, what’s up?”
I offered her a sip the girl she gave me lip
It did begin the stuff wore in and now she’s on my tip
Step up to the bar put the girl down
She takes a big gulp and slaps it around
Take a sip – you can do it – you get right to it
We had a case in the place and we went right through it
You got a dry Martini thinking you’re cool
I’ll take your place at the bar I smack you off your stool
I’ll down a ’40 dog” in a single gulp
And if you got beef you’ll get beat to a pulp
Monkey and parties and reelin’ and rockin’
Def, def – girls, girls – all y’all jockin’
The song and dance keeping you in a trance
If you don’t buy my record I got my advance
I drink it – I think it – I see it – I be it
I love Brass Monkey but I won’t give D. it
We got the bottle you got the cup
Come on everybody let’s get ffffff