Today’s song of the day is the infamous “With A Little Help from My Friends” by the Beatles.
- “With A Little Help from My Friends” is an original song by the Beatles. The band members John Lennon and Paul McCartney wrote the song’s lyrics, and they finished writing it in mid-May 1967. They wrote for the album “Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band,” specifically as Starr’s song in the album.
- The band member Ringo Starr sings the song as the character Billy Shears. Starr is also the drummer for the track and the band. Although he is the lead vocal, his fellow band members help him in the middle. He also regularly performed as a solo artist in concerts.
- The song “With A Little Help from My Friends” is the second track on the album “Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band,” and it transitions seamlessly from the applause of the title track.
- This song was initially titled “A Little Help from My Friends.” It was also briefly called “Bad Finger Boogie” because Lennon, the pianist, used his middle finger to compose the melody after hurting his forefinger.
- The song has also undergone some alteration in its first line. Why? To prevent the artists from getting accosted while on stage.
- The song is written and sung in the form of a conversation. Starr answers the questions from the other three Beatles in a conversational manner.
- The song ranked number 311of the 500 Greatest Songs of All-time on Rolling Stone’s list.
- In 1968 Joe Cocker’s version of the track became a hit and thus was made the Woodstock era anthem. One year later, the song clenched number 63 in Britain, while in the United States, it was at number 71 after reissuing it as a single.
- After its release in the United States, the song met with a harsh attitude, with the Maryland Governor lobbying for the song’s ban since he believed it was about drugs.
- The Beatles recorded ten takes of the song before its success and wrapped up the session at 5:45 in the morning. They added bass and electric guitar, tambourine, and backing vocals.
- Starr and McCartney performed the song together for the first time on 4th April 2009 in New York at the David Lynch Foundation Benefit Concert.