Today’s song of the day is the American blues rock and synth-pop song “Sharp Dressed Man” by ZZ Top.
- “Sharp Dressed Man” was written by band members Billy Gibbons, Dusty Hill, and Frank Beard and produced by the band’s manager, Bill Ham.
- The song was written for ZZ Top’s eighth studio album, Eliminator.
- Released as a single in 1983, it quickly charted in multiple countries, including the U.S., the U.K., Australia, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Ireland. It peaked at number 8 in the U.S. and number 22 in the U.K.
- The music video for “Sharp Dressed Man” follows the events from the band’s previously released single and music video, “Gimme All Your Lovin’.”
- A beer company secretly paid the director of the “Sharp Dressed Man” music video for undisclosed product placement. However, MTV refused to air the video until the clips featuring the beer were removed.
- The beer company in question was most likely Joseph Schlitz Brewing Company, although this has not been explicitly confirmed.
- In 2009, Music magazine Guitar World listed the song at number 43 on their list of the “50 Greatest Guitar Solos.”
- In 2012, the song was selected as the opening theme song for A&E’s reality television show, Duck Dynasty.