Today’s song of the day is an English soft rock song, “Wonderful Tonight,” by Eric Clapton.
- “Wonderful Tonight” was released as a single and included on Clapton’s fifth studio album, Slowhand. Both the single and the album were released in 1977.
- The song was written for his lover and later wife of ten years, Pattie Boyd.
- Billboard Magazine praised the ballad, calling it Clapton’s “prettiest and mellowest love ballad in some time.”
- Cash Box, another magazine focused on the music industry, had similar praise for the song. Writers for Cash Box said Clapton’s singing was “superbly understated,” and his guitar playing was “simple and evocative.”
- In 1988, Clapton performed the song at the Nelson Mandela 70th Birthday Tribute.
- At the time of the song’s release, it was featured on a number of music charts in several different countries. It peaked at number five in Belgium, number three in France, number sixteen on Billboard’s Hot 100, and number one in Japan’s International Singles chart.
- “Wonderful Tonight” is certified gold in Denmark, Italy, Japan, and the United States and certified platinum in the United Kingdom.
- The song was covered by Michael Bublé in 2007, whose version peaked at number one on the Billboard 200 chart.
It’s late in the evening
She’s wondering what clothes to wear
She puts on her makeup
And brushes her long blonde hair
And then she asks me, “Do I look alright?”
And I say, “Yes, you look wonderful tonight”
We go to a party
And everyone turns to see
This beautiful lady
That’s walking around with me
And then she asks me, “Do you feel alright?”
And I say, “Yes, I feel wonderful tonight”
I feel wonderful
Because I see the love light in your eyes
And the wonder of it all
Is that you just don’t realize how much I love you
It’s time to go home now
And I’ve got an aching head
So I give her the car keys
She helps me to bed
And then I tell her, as I turn out the light
I say, “My darling, you are wonderful tonight”
Oh my darling, you are wonderful tonight